Sun, 07/12/2020 - 15:27

Improbable gets back to work, eyes Whitney or Pacific Classic

Benoit Photo
Improbable wins the Hollywood Gold Cup by 3 1/2 lengths under Drayden Van Dyke on Saturday at Santa Anita.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Grade 1 winner Improbable worked an easy five furlongs Sunday morning at Del Mar, as trainer Bob Baffert considers summer options for the 4-year-old who scored a resounding victory last month in the Hollywood Gold Cup at Santa Anita.

Improbable worked a slow 1:03.80 in his first Del Mar work since arriving from Santa Anita.

“We’re keeping him fresh, we don’t want to do too much,” Baffert said. “We want him ready for the Breeders’ Cup.”

Sun, 07/12/2020 - 14:57

Abel Cedillo to ride Maximum Security in San Diego Handicap

Barbara D. Livingston
Maximum Security will be ridden by jockey Abel Cedillo in Saturday's Grade 2 San Diego Handicap.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Abel Cedillo has been named as replacement rider for Maximum Security, who will make his California debut and first start for trainer Bob Baffert in the Grade 2 San Diego Handicap on Saturday at Del Mar.

“It’s a one-shot deal,” Baffert said regarding jockey assignment.

Maximum Security’s regular rider, Luis Saez, is on the sidelines after testing positive for coronavirus. Baffert said Saez would regain the mount on Maximum Security. Meanwhile, the trainer is confident in Cedillo.

Sun, 07/12/2020 - 14:01

Gamine works at Del Mar; Baffert plotting path to Kentucky Oaks

Barbara D. Livingston
Gamine wins the Grade 1 Acorn, earning a 110 Beyer Speed Figure.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Gamine, the runaway winner of the Grade 1 Acorn Stakes at Belmont Park last month, worked a half-mile Sunday morning at Del Mar in 48.80 seconds as trainer Bob Baffert continues to map out a plan to get her to the Kentucky Oaks on Sept. 4 at Churchill Downs.

One thing he knows for sure. “She’s not going to the Coaching Club American Oaks,” Baffert said, referring to the Grade 1, 1 1/8-mile race next Saturday at Saratoga.

One race seriously under consideration is the Grade 1 Test, at seven furlongs on Aug. 8 at Saratoga.

Sat, 07/11/2020 - 18:09

Peter Pan, Schuylerville top opening day at Saratoga

Barbara D. Livingston
Modernist, winner of a division of the Risen Star Stakes, is among the probable starters for next Thursday's Peter Pan Stakes at Saratoga.

One of the many changes to this year’s Saratoga summer is the addition of the Grade 3, $100,000 Peter Pan to the stakes schedule.

Nine 3-year-olds were entered Saturday for the Peter Pan, which will offer 85 qualifying points to the Sept. 5 Kentucky Derby to its top four finishers. The Peter Pan, run at 1 1/8 miles, shares billing with the Grade 3, $100,000 Schuylerville Stakes - a traditional Saratoga race - on Thursday’s 10-race opening-day card.

Sat, 07/11/2020 - 14:42

Maximum Security works, needs rider for next week's San Diego Handicap

Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia/Neville Hopwood
Maximum Secirity (left) holds off a rallying Midnight Bisou to win the $20 million Saudi Cup.

DEL MAR, Calif. - Maximum Security is all set for his first start with new trainer Bob Baffert. Now all he needs is a rider.

Maximum Security, last year’s champion 3-year-old male, completed his preparation for the Grade 2 San Diego Handicap next Saturday at Del Mar with a five-furlong work in 59.60 seconds on Saturday morning under exercise rider Juan Ochoa, a former jockey.

“He looks great. He went fantastic. He’s ready as I can get him,” Baffert said. “He looked really good.”

Sat, 07/11/2020 - 00:11

Jockey Victor Espinoza tests positive for coronavirus

Barbara D. Livingston
Jockey Victor Espinoza tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Jockey Victor Espinoza has tested positive for coronavirus and will be “out for a while,” his agent, Brian Beach, said Friday.

Espinoza had a test taken in San Diego County on Friday afternoon after a test he had taken on Thursday in Orange County failed to be processed in the quick time he had been promised; as of Friday night he had not received those results. Since that Orange County test had yet to come back by the start of racing Friday, Espinoza was taken off his mounts on the opening-day card at Del Mar.

Fri, 07/10/2020 - 19:04

Espinoza taken off mounts while awaiting results of coronavirus test

Emily Shields
Victor Espinoza returned seven months after having sustained a fractured cervical vertebra.

DEL MAR, Calif. – Jockey Victor Espinoza was taken off his three mounts on opening day Friday at Del Mar because results of a coronavirus test that he sought out on Thursday had yet to be returned to him, according to his agent, Brian Beach.

Espinoza rode last Saturday at Los Alamitos. Both Martin Garcia and Luis Saez, who rode at Los Alamitos that day, have this week tested positive for coronavirus.

Fri, 07/10/2020 - 15:41

Racing board puts Los Alamitos on probation for recent rash of fatalities

The California Horse Racing Board placed the racing license for the Los Alamitos evening meeting on a 10-day probation on Friday, ordering the track to develop immediate safety protocols following a sharp rise in fatal breakdowns in recent weeks.

In a two-hour emergency teleconference meeting, the racing board considered an immediate cessation of racing at Los Alamitos, but voted 5-1 to allow racing to continue. The evening meeting consists of racing for Quarter Horse and lower-level Thoroughbreds on a Friday-through-Sunday basis.

Fri, 07/10/2020 - 15:30

Monmouth selling 500 tickets to the public for Haskell card

Bill Denver/Equi-Photo
Tickets to Monmouth Park for Haskell Day, July 18, cost $100 and can only be bought online.

Monmouth Park in Oceanport, N.Y., plans to sell 500 general-admission tickets for the track’s centerpiece race day, the July 18 Haskell Stakes card, the track said on Friday.

Fri, 07/10/2020 - 15:26

Lukas among trainers skipping Saratoga or taking far fewer stalls

Barbara D. Livingston
For the first time in four decades, Hall of Famer D. Wayne Lukas will not have a string of horses at Saratoga.

For the first time in more than four decades, trainer D. Wayne Lukas will not be stabled at Saratoga.

Lukas, who won six trainers’ titles at Saratoga from 1986-92, said he will keep his stable in Kentucky for the summer after much of his help expressed a desire not to go to New York because of the COVID-19 situation.