Fri, 07/03/2020 - 16:00

With Sanford dropped from schedule, Prisoner will have to wait for the Saratoga Special

Chelsea Durand/NYRA
Prisoner, shown winning a June 3 maiden race, is likely to make his next start in the Aug. 7 Saratoga Special.

ELMONT, N.Y. – In a normal world, Prisoner would have went from his impressive maiden win on June 3 to the Sanford Stakes at Saratoga on opening weekend.

This year, however, the Grade 3 Sanford was not scheduled by the New York Racing Association, owing to a lack of 2-year-old maiden races at the Belmont meet. Thus, Prisoner will be forced to wait for the Grade 2, $150,000 Saratoga Special on Aug. 7.

On Friday, Prisoner worked a half-mile in 50.15 seconds with the unstarted 2-year-old maiden Walden Pond.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 15:56

Pletcher considering Haskell for Dr Post; Farmington Road works on turf

Barbara D. Livingston
Dr Post is scheduled to have his first work since the Belmont this weekend.

ELMONT, N.Y. – Dr Post, the Belmont Stakes runner-up, was scheduled to return to the work tab Saturday at Belmont Park, and trainer Todd Pletcher said he is leaning toward running him in the $1 million Haskell Invitational on July 18 at Monmouth Park.

“Seems like he’s come out of the race well, so this will be the first step toward making a decision,” Pletcher said Friday.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 14:26

Owner Sharon Alesia dies at 83

Benoit Photo
Owner Sharon Alesia died on June 15 at the age of 83.

Sharon Alesia, who co-owned such stakes winners as Ashleyluvsugar, Champagne Room, Dance With Fate, and Weemissfrankie in the last decade, died June 15 in Carlsbad, Calif., after an illness, according to her business manager, Howard Grossman.

Alesia was 83.

Alesia and her late husband, Frank, owned horses since the mid-1980s, always with trainer Peter Eurton. Sharon Alesia, who often owned horses in small partnerships, maintained the stable after Frank Alesia’s death in 2011.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 14:26

Stakes next stop for Cezanne after two-turn win

Benoit Photo
Cezanne wins an allowance race by 1 3/4 lengths on Thursday at Los Alamitos.

Cezanne, a $3.65 million purchase as a 2-year-old in 2019, is expected to have his next start in an undetermined stakes after winning his first start around two turns in an allowance race with a $40,000 claiming option at a mile Thursday at Los Alamitos.

Cezanne is unbeaten in two starts, having also won a maiden race at 6 1/2 furlongs on June 6 at Santa Anita.

Ridden by Flavien Prat, Cezanne ($2.20) stalked pacesetter Bronn to the turn and took the lead in early stretch. Prat gave Cezanne a few reminders with his whip in the final furlong.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 14:20

Los Alamitos interested in September Thoroughbred dates

Los Alamitos concludes its two-week daytime summer meeting for Thoroughbreds with an eight-race program Sunday, but it is not clear when the track will resume daytime Thoroughbred racing.

Los Alamitos is scheduled to hold a three-week meeting from Dec. 4-20, but may ask the racing board to run a brief season in September, pending actions by Santa Anita. Los Alamitos officials have sent letters to the California Horse Racing Board in the last week expressing an interest in racing.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 13:56

Maximum Security being pointed to San Diego Handicap

Barbara D. Livingston
Maximum Security will make his first start for trainer Bob Baffert in the Grade 2 San Diego Handicap on July 18 at Del Mar.

Maximum Security, the champion 3-year-old male of 2019, will have his first start of the summer in the Grade 2 San Diego Handicap on July 18 at Del Mar, trainer Bob Baffert said Friday.

The $150,000 San Diego Handicap at 1 1/16 miles will be Maximum Security’s first race since a win in the $20 million Saudi Cup on Feb. 29 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

“He looks fantastic,” Baffert said.

Maximum Security is scheduled to work at Santa Anita this weekend. The San Diego Handicap is a prep for Del Mar’s leading race, the Grade 1 Pacific Classic at 1 1/4 miles on Aug. 22.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 12:46

Keeneland set for short, but high-quality July meet

Coady Photography
Keeneland will open a five-day meet on Wednesday that will feature 10 graded stakes worth a total of $2.5 million.

For some 60 years, July was a busy month at Keeneland. But since the Lexington, Ky., track last held its internationally famous July select yearling sale in 2002, the middle of summer has been a fairly quiet period.

That’ll change this coming week when Keeneland runs a five-day meet. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the spring meet canceled in April has essentially been compacted into one week in July. The meet spans Wednesday through July 12, with 10 graded stakes worth more than a combined $2.5 million being run during the final three days.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 11:06

Zulu Alpha to run in Elkhorn Stakes

Ronnie Betor
Zulu Alpha (left), wins the Mac Diarmida at Gulfstream Park. He skipped the Manhattan at Belmont Park to stay in Kentucky for the July 12 Elkhorn at Keeneland.

Somewhat conspicuous by his absence from the Grade 1, $400,000 Manhattan on Saturday at Belmont Park was Zulu Alpha, one of the leading grass horses on the continent. The 7-year-old gelding instead is waiting on the Grade 2, $175,000 Elkhorn, a 1 1/2-mile turf race on July 12, closing day of the short Keeneland meet.

Zulu Alpha, an earner of more than $2 million, has raced three times this year, all at Gulfstream Park. He won the Pegasus World Cup Turf and the Mac Diarmida before being upset by his Mike Maker-trained stablemate, Bemma’s Boy, in the March 28 Pan American.

Fri, 07/03/2020 - 10:01

Monmouth limited to 2,100 to 3,000 spectators each day

Monmouth Park will be permitted to admit 2,100 to 3,000 people each day of live racing this weekend, with the number in flux leading up to its opening card on Friday evening due to ongoing discussions between track officials and the state government, according to the track’s top official.

Thu, 07/02/2020 - 14:07

Del Mar to let owners watch workouts

Emily Shields
Del Mar is aiming to continue five-day race weeks this summer.

Del Mar will allow owners to attend workouts from 6 to 10 a.m. beginning Friday, but the track does not plan to allow owners or other spectators to attend racing at the start of its summer meeting because of the coronavirus outbreak, track officials said.

“The policy is unchanged, as of now,” track president Josh Rubinstein said on Tuesday.

Rubinstein said the track is hopeful for a change of policy later this summer.

“We’re still trying,” he said. “The door is not closed.”

The meeting runs from July 10 to Sept. 7.